Mandate and appointment of members
The mandate of the REBs is to assess and sanction the ethical aspects of all research projects involving human participants conducted under their jurisdiction by their professors and students, prior to their inception and during their execution. The REBs also verify how researchers plan to take on their ethical responsibilities. The REBs must also approve all projects in which students, professors or support staff of the University of Ottawa serve as research participants.
- Each member is appointed by the Vice-President, Research.
- The mandate is a two-year period, renewable once, with the terms staggered to maintain continuity.
- For student members, the mandate is a one-year period, renewable twice.
- During the transition period, some members may be appointed for a three-year term to maintain continuity.
- A period of observation and training takes place before the beginning of the mandate.
- The Vice-President, Research may appoint substitute members so that REB activities are not paralyzed by any unforeseen eventualities.